SELF-MASTERY AND SELFLESSNESS IN LEADERSHIP
By Kolawole Aduragbemi,
Social media and Publicity Director, Kingdom Leads Africa.
What is self-mastery? It simply means understanding yourself. Self-mastery is a continuous process of knowing and improving yourself.
Learning personal leadership
You have come across one person in your life like friends, relatives, or co-workers who is always winning in almost all situations. Because they have self-mastery leadership qualities to achieve their goal by knowing their thoughts, goals, and purpose in life. they achieve this by mastering themselves which is self-mastery leadership, also called personal mastery leadership.
Why self-mastery leadership is important?
For example, every organization wants a leader who is problem-solving and confident as you are hired for their problems only. But if you are capable and still doubt yourself, then you should self-check and start working on yourself and start becoming a self-mastery leader.
- Know your inner voice: Everyone had someone inside their mind talking always on almost everything in the way of thoughts. That inner voice is YOU. You should always know your thoughts and your inner voice, and note them down. Try to understand why it is coming and what it is indicating. If you don't listen to your inner voice, then the external body will take over the situation and it will make a decision that sometimes you do not want to happen. So, always control your body with your inner ones carefully.
- Loving yourself is key to being a leader: I will let you know that you and your life are more expensive than any other things like cars, etc. In this busy schedule, life is racing towards success and money, we, just forget about ourselves by forgetting the efforts and time and care we want for maximizing high performance and personal mastery.
You are more valuable than your cars, you deserve better polishing, and servicing. Your company, society, and friends need you, they need your help, and they need your contribution as a leader.
- Have a proper Routine; strengths, peace, vision, values, purpose, good communication, learning, and ability to take responsibility.
What is selflessness?
Selflessness is putting others first and placing their needs above yours. It is realizing that life is not about laboring to meet your needs and preferences but a task to look out for others and help them to actualize their expectations and aspirations.
Characteristics of a selfless Leader
- Leaders ask questions and listen carefully. Be genuine in your attention towards others.
- Leaders bring others with them on the journey. Don’t fill yourself with pride and think the path to success is only for you. Engage with others, be willing to use their strengths and talents to help you on your personal journey. Be a part of their journey as well.
- Leaders create a leadership environment to foster learning and growth. Your surroundings, at work and at home, should foster positivity, energy, productivity, balance, curiosity and the growth of your potential into actuality.
- Leaders encourage and build up others. Know that the strength of the team will determine the success of the mission.
- Leaders do what’s right even when unpopular. Removing ego and instilling an attitude of humility in its place is the best way to move forward without worrying about the opinions and cutting words of others.
- Leaders are quick to work on and develop themselves. Never think you are done growing.
- Recognize the growth of others. Leaders are quick to develop themselves, and even quicker to give credit to others.
- Leaders recognize wisdom. Value differing ways of seeing the world: you can learn a lot from the experiences and words of others.
- Leaders recognize that talent is never enough. They go the extra mile to do it right.
- Leaders focus on the right things. They understand that you should focus on strengths, not shortcomings.
Conclusion; It is important to know yourself, before growing others you should grow yourself Before leading a team, the organization, you should know how to lead yourself first. If you want to change the world, you change yourself first. Also by self-mastery leadership if possible